It is clear that Democrats over-interpreted our mandate. Talk of a “political realignment” and a “new progressive era” proved wishful thinking. Exit polls in 2008 showed that 22 percent of voters identified themselves as liberals, 32 percent as conservatives and 44 percent as moderates. An electorate that is 76 percent moderate to conservative was not crying out for a move to the left.
We also overreached by focusing on health care rather than job creation during a severe recession. It was a noble aspiration, but $1 trillion in new spending and a major entitlement expansion are best attempted when the Treasury is flush and the economy strong, hardly our situation today.
- American Thinker: Donald Trump Scores an Important Victory… Over the Media
- Obama modestly calls himself “the most successful President over the last 50 years” | IHateTheMedia.com
- American Thinker Blog: It’s 2012 on Obama’s calendar
- American Thinker Blog: CBS, WaPo get early retiree cash from Obamacare
- How can you tell when President Obama is lying? He moves his lips. | IHateTheMedia.com